Look for the Blue Star seal when buying a gas appliance.  It certifies that the equipment design meets strict safety standards.
You are not currently logged in.

Home Performance with Energy Star® (HPwES)

Want to save money on your energy bills? Not sure where to start?  

Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® (HPwES) may be your answer. HPwES is a program sponsored in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency and CL&P on behalf of Energize Connecticut.

How HPwES works

Step 1: Schedule a home energy audit  

Customers call one of our participating contractors to have a home energy audit. In order to offer HPwES, our contractors are registered with the Department of Consumer Protection. They are fully insured and certified building analysts. During the audit, the contractors use state-of-the-art diagnostic testing equipment to identify sources of energy loss in your home. After the audit, the contractor will provide you with a custom proposal for services to reduce energy loss in your home, outlining the savings in energy these upgrades will provide.

Step 2: Hire the contractor to make energy upgrades  

If you choose to move forward with your project, complete the HPwES application form (see below).  Then submit the proposal for services, along with the application, to the CL&P address provided. We will send you a formal letter of agreement outlining the incentives for the upgrades. 

 Step 3: Complete your home performance project  

Upon completion, your project will be inspected by CL&P and your incentive check will be mailed to you. You’ll continue to save energy and money for years to come, while having a safer, more comfortable and healthy home.

Your HPwES energy expert may recommend improved insulation for your home. Click here for a list of approved installers.

How to become a HPwES contractor

 If your interested in becoming a participating contractor, contact CL&P's program administrator, Cumal T. Gray at 860-665-5026, cumal.gray@nu.com