Your Safety Information Source
Safety is Our TOP Priority!
If you suspect a leak, MOVE TO A SAFE ENVIRONMENT! Then, CALL us immediately at 1.877.YG4.LEAK.
At Yankee Gas, we not only promote safety, we live it, breathe it and make certain that our employees practice it on a daily basis. It is always our top concern that our workers, customers and the communities we serve remain safe.
Here you'll find all the safety information you'll need to keep your family, employees, workers and customers safe.
For detailed safety information, please visit:
View our Whitepapers for more in-depth information.
If you suspect a gas leak: Call 1.877.YG4.LEAK.
- DO NOT smoke or operate electrical switches or appliances. These items may produce a spark that might ignite the gas and cause an explosion.
- DO NOT assume someone else will report the condition.
- Provide the exact location, including cross streets.
- Let us know if there are any digging activities going on in the area.
Use your senses to detect a leak
A gas leak is usually recognized by smell, sight, or sound:
- Smell – Natural gas is odorless. A distinctive odor (think sulfur or rotten eggs) is added so that you'll recognize it quickly. However, not all gas transmission lines are odorized.
- Sight – A white cloud, mist, fog, blowing dust and bubbles in standing water are telltale signs. You may also see vegetation that appears to be dead or dying for no apparent reason.
- Sound – You may hear an unusual noise like roaring, hissing or whistling.