Call CBYD at 811 or 1-800-922-4455 at least two full working days before digging. It’s free, easy and the law! Visit www.cbyd.com.
You are not currently logged in.

Who Can Apply for a Community Investment Grant?

Yankee Gas and CL&P provide Community Investment grants to organizations, located in our service areas, that are undertaking projects in the following areas:

Economic and community development - We partner with local, state and regional efforts to promote the economy and create jobs. This includes special emphasis on small business development, entrepreneurship, new job creation and retention and smart growth.

Environmental leadership and stewardship - We support programs that promote environmental education, energy conservation, alternative and renewable energy, and environmental conservation projects, as well as those that protect or improve the environment.

Education and workforce development - We fund programs that help people develop technical skills for existing and potential jobs. We also invest in higher education programs targeted to meet workforce needs.

Community Investment grants are not provided to:

  • individuals (for example: school events, conferences and travel)
  • corporations that do not qualify as charitable organizations as defined by the IRS Code
  • projects benefiting limited groups (religious, fraternal, political)
  • private foundations or endowments
  • reduce or eliminate a pre-existing debt
  • athletic outings
  • organizations located outside the areas we serve and whose services do not benefit our customers
  • activities such as scouting, band and youth sports leagues
  • advertising
  • health care issues or organizations

Generally speaking, Community Investment grants are not provided to organizations that receive direct support from United Way, combined health charities or other federated funds. We support these umbrella agencies through our United Way and United Arts corporate giving programs.