Safe and Efficient Holiday Decorating
The holidays are coming up fast, which for many means it’s time to decorate both inside and outside your home. At CL&P, we want the holidays to be as safe as they are fun.
Here are some tips on how to keep your holiday lighting projects safe:
- Inspect your lighting before you plug them in. Get rid of any lights that are cracked, broken, or have frayed or bare wires.
- When buying new lights, make sure they have been tested for safety and carry the UL label on the packaging.
- For both safety and saving money, opt for LED lights which use less energy than traditional lights. That means you’ll spend only $0.25/month with LED lights versus $6-10 with traditional lights.
- Avoid overloading outlets and creating a dangerous situation by following the manufacturer’s recommendations. Most recommend no more than 3 strands together in one outlet. Alternatively, you can use a powerstrip with surge protection.
- When hanging holiday lights outdoors, make sure you only use lights approved for outdoor use. Also, remember to always stay at least 10 feet away from power lines and anything they touch.
- Once your lights have been safely installed, set up a timer to make sure you’re using electricity efficiently while saving money at the same time.
From all of us at Yankee Gas, we offer you a happy and safe holiday season!
Enoch Lenge is the CL&P and Yankee Gas energy efficiency spokesman. If you're a member of the media and would like to arrange an interview with Enoch, please contact Media Relations.