Quality Installation and Verification (QIV) Program
Quality Installation and Verification (QIV) program is made possible by Energize Connecticut and administered by CL&P. Rebates are $500 per system for a successful QIV on your ducted, not ductless, ENERGY STAR® air conditioning or heat pump installation and $100 per system on a qualifying natural gas warm air system.
What is QIV?
Quality Installation and Verification is a program that provides you with assurance that your new or existing central air conditioner, heat pump or furnace has been properly installed for best performance and reliability. You will receive an incentive outlined below for participation in the QIV program. To be eligible for QIV, heating and/or cooling systems must be ENERGY STAR® certified. QIV is performed by approved contractors to verify the heating and/or cooling system’s expected efficiency, energy savings and comfort.
What is the value of QIV?
You may question why you even need to have your new heating and/or cooling system tested. Isn’t it already performing at its best? Even newly installed systems may not provide the energy efficiency and comfort you expect. According to ENERGY STAR, more than half of all HVAC systems in the U.S. are believed to perform poorly due to one or more installation issues, which wastes energy and can increase peak load. QIV ensures optimum system performance providing you with:
- Increased reliability and lower energy bills
- Fewer repairs and longer equipment life expectancy
- Improved indoor air quality and a higher level of comfort
What happens during the QIV?
The contractor’s goal is to determine whether the heating and/or cooling system has been installed according to the ANSI/ACCA 5 QI 2010 Specification. This standard was developed by the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) to ensure quality installation of air conditioners, heat pumps and furnaces.
The HVAC contractor will install your system using specified design criteria for proper sizing of the equipment. The installed equipment is then tested and verified that it meets the specification.
At the completion of the QIV, contractors provide you with operation and maintenance explanations and documentation. They will also catalogue this information at their place of business for your future reference. In all, QIV contractors have a high level of training that is reflected in their business performance and level of service.
How do I participate?
Below are the steps to take for a successful QIV.
- To participate in the QIV program, you must be a CL&P or natural gas utility customer and have your account numbers available for verification by the contractor. Emergency equipment replacements are not eligible for the QIV program.
- An assessment of your home's energy efficiency is highly encouraged. CL&P and the natural gas utilities can help you through the Home Energy SolutionsSM (HES) program. To find out more about HES program, please see the link below. Having the assessment will provide both you and the QIV contractor with an actual energy value for right-sizing your equipment and prevents duplicating past mistakes. The Home Energy Solutions program provides many other benefits as well, including weatherization services, energy-efficient lighting improvements and hot water-saving devices.
- Choose your heating and cooling equipment. In order to qualify for the QIV rebate, your new equipment must meet energy efficiency requirements and qualify for either the ENERGY STAR Central Air Conditioner or Heat Pump rebate and/or the Residential Furnace and Natural Gas Boiler rebate. These high efficiency rebates are in addition to the QIV incentive. Customers who have participated in the HES program may be eligible for additional equipment rebates. These rebates may be submitted at the time of equipment purchase to the address noted on the form.
- Download and complete the Residential Quality Installation and Verification Rebate for Existing Homes below.
- Choose your QIV contractor from our approved list of contractors below. You can use a handy HVAC QI Bidsheet to help you choose a QIV contractor. See links below.
- Your approved contractor will now prepare a design that reflects your actual heating and cooling needs. Existing ductwork issues may need to be resolved at the time of installation to meet this standard including modifications for proper size and duct leakage sealing. The completed rebate form and the contractor's workbook can be submitted by either the customer or the QIV contractor. The QIV incentive form must be sent with appropriate documents indicated on the QIV form to the address on the QIV form. Successful completion of a quality installation is required to receive this rebate.
- Once your new heating and cooling system is installed, send the appropriate documents to the QIV verifier at the address below. The verifier will confirm a successful QIV to CL&P.
Roltay, Inc. Energy Services
98 Overbrook Rd.
Madison, CT 06443
- Upon successful verification, payment will be sent to you for participating in the QIV program. The incentive is made possible by Energize Connecticut and are $500 per home for a successful QIV on your ENERGY STAR air conditioning or heat pump installation and $100 per system on a qualifying natural gas warm air system.
Your ENERGY STAR system has now been installed with the confidence of a QIV report by a quality assured HVAC contractor.
To set-up your Home Energy Solutions energy assessment:
QIV rebate application:
Verify that your equipment qualifies:
Locate a QIV contractor:
For the QIV Contractor:
To become a 2014 Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund/Utility-approved QIV contractor:
- Become familiar with the ANSI/ACCA 5 QI 2010 (PDF) specification.
- Confirm if your business is prepared to perform a full Quality Installation.
- You will need a copy of the latest Elitesoft or Wrightsoft design suite software, and
- Own or have access to Instrumentation for: airflow, duct leakage, static pressure, air temperature/RH% and refrigerant pressure, and
- Attend a three-day design class and half day field training.
- Complete a contractor's application (PDF) and send to the address on the form.
- Complete an ACCA approved design report and a Quality Installation and Verification Workbook.
- Provide the ACCA approved installation package to the customer or send to the address on the customer QIV form.
- Confirm your project is recognized on the utility directory.
Contractors are encouraged to seek training for ENERGY STAR credentials. Information is available at www.energystar.gov.
For more information, call 1-877-WISE-USE (1-877-947-3873).