Tell us about your project...
Existing Buildings | Retrofit Projects
This program is one of several innovative solutions offered by Energize Connecticut and administered by Connecticut's utility companies.
Opportunities for Saving
Make energy efficiency a determining factor in your decision to upgrade equipment. The decision to replace functioning equipment is based on many factors: productivity benefits, reduced operating costs, ease-of-use, compatibility with other systems – even aesthetics and comfort can be reasons to upgrade. However, in today’s competitive environment, energy efficiency may be on the top of your list. In the past, businesses and municipalities had to make difficult decisions – letting the budget dictate the level of technology used. Now, with support from the Connecticut Energy Efficiency Fund, you have the financial assistance that will enable you to determine your energy future. You can make decisions based on efficient technology that will benefit your facility in the long term.
- Commercial, industrial or municipal customers of any size engaged in a retrofit project
- A retrofit is defined as replacement of existing equipment that is operational and has at least 25 percent of its useful life remaining
- CL&P or UI customers on a commercial or industrial rate can participate in electric energy-efficiency measures
- Yankee Gas, CNG or SCG customers on a firm commercial or industrial rate can participate in natural gas energy-saving measures
How Does the Program Work?
- Utility company energy experts will work with you to identify energy-saving equipment opportunities for your consideration. You maintain complete control over your project.
- The program incorporates financial incentives, which may include zero percent or low interest rate financing, to help you evaluate the choice between maintaining your older, inefficient equipment or a high efficiency replacement option. With the incentives and the monthly cost savings derived from the measures, your retrofit project will typically have a short payback period. Details of the current incentive structure can be found here (PDF).
- The Energy Opportunities program administrators will then prepare a contractual commitment to be signed prior to ordering any equipment. This Letter of Agreement will detail all the energy efficiency measures, the estimated energy savings, and the anticipated incentive dollar amount. The companies also offer express rebates for some of the more common measures for fast and convenient savings. Once the project is completed, the measures are inspected and verified and your organization receives the incentive payment. It’s as simple as that.
- Comprehensive Initiative
The financial incentives will help get your project completed the right way, the first time. The energy-saving benefits will continue on, year after year.
The following list is only a sample of the energy efficiency opportunities available.
- Natural gas furnaces, boilers and unit heaters
- Boiler reset controls
- Rooftop or split-system AC equipment
- Premium motors and variable-speed drives (fans/pumps)
- Differential enthalpy economizer controls
- CO2 controls
- Energy management systems
- Programmable thermostats
- Ammonia refrigeration systems
- Mechanical sub-coolers
- Evaporator controls
- Oversized condensers
- High-speed cooler/freezer doors
- Natural gas indirect water heaters
- Natural gas on-demand tankless water heaters
- Premium motors and variable-speed drives
- Air compressors and related system components
- Commercial kitchen cooking equipment, including exhaust hoods, ranges and ovens
- Material handling equipment (conveyor belt systems and screw-feed devices)
- Infrared heaters and gas-fired ovens
- Process chillers
For more information call 1-877-WISE-USE (1-877-947-3873)
Meriden Property Management (PDF): Read how this local business took advantage of the Energy Opportunities retrofit program to save natural gas and electricity.