Community Builders Institute
NU’s Community Builders Institute (CBI) teaches the basics of advanced economic development and land-use planning. The program’s primary goal is to raise the capacity of land-use decision makers across Connecticut, and demonstrate the value of life-long professional education. It targets professional economic developers and planners, volunteer land-use commissioners, elected officials and real estate professionals, and fosters an understanding of each other’s duties, goals and views.
Save the date for these CBI classes coming in 2011:
Coming this Fall
Friday, November 4, 8:00 a.m.
Tuesday, November 29, 4:00 p.m.
Crash Course II - Advanced Economic Development & Planning
- Understanding Planning, Land Use, and Economic Development (PDF) – Roles, Responsibility, and Techniques, Donald J. Poland, MS, AICP
- Planning for Your Community's Economic Development Future (PPT), Mark D. Waterhouse, CEcD, President, Garnet Consulting Services, Inc.
- Planning for Commercial Development, (PDF) Donald J. Poland, MS, AICP
- Understanding the Real Estate Development Process, (PDF) Mark D. Waterhouse, CEcD, President, Garnet Consulting Services, Inc.
- Generation Interconnection, Joseph Debs, PM Distributed Resources (PDF)
- Diary of a Green Energy Deal, (PDF) Joel Lindsay, Weston
- Financing Clean, Renewable Energy, (PDF) Dave Ljungquist, Associate Director, Project Development, CEEF
- CL&P Green Energy Purchasing, (PDF) Tim Honan, Wholesale Marketing
- Seven Ways Social Media and Your Website Can Work Together, (PDF) Ben Wright, Atlas Advertising
- CL&P/Yankee Gas’ ED&CR Social Media Apps, (PDF) Liz Adams
- Making Effective Process Flow: A Discussion on the Land Use Approval Process in Connecticut, Mike Goman, President, ICREI, LLC; Robin Messier Pearson, Esq. Shipman, Sosensky & Marks, LLC; Russell N. Rogerson, Executive Director Mooresville-South Iredell Economic Development Corporation (North Carolina); Jason Vincent, AICP, Vice President, Planimetrics
- Salisbury - A Case Study: The Need for Good Land Use Regulations, (PDF) Donald J. Poland, MS, AICP
- Simsbury Charrette: Unexpected Outcomes from Public Input, (PDF) Hiram Peck
- Planning for the Future: Economy & The Workforce Today and Tomorrow, (PDF) Russell Rogerson, Executive Director, Mooresville South-Iredell Economic Development Corporation
- Route 6 Hop River Corridor, (PDF) Terri-Ann Hahn
- Brownfield Redevelopment, (PDF) Dale Kroop, Town of Hamden, Hamden Economic Development Corporation (HEDC)
- Regional Innovation Clusters: New Federal Priority, (PDF) Mike Gurau
- How Do They Come Up With These Deals?, (PDF) Peter Lent, DECD
- An Overview of EDA Programs and Priorities, (PDF) Stephen Grady, North Atlantic Area Director
- Builders’ Institute Connecticut Tax Incentives, (PDF) Dick Tomeo, Robinson & Cole LLP
- What is Economic Gardening? (PDF)
- Gardening: History of an Idea (PDF)
- Gardening: Past, Present and Future (PDF)
- Gardening: Core Beliefs (PDF)
- Economic Gardening: Core Strategy (PDF)
- Traps: Why Communities are Poor (PDF)
- Colorado's Economic Gardening Project (PDF)
- Entrepreneurs in Rural Areas (PDF)
- Economy (PDF)
- GIS Vending Machine (PDF)